Burna Boy could be the first contemporary Nigerian artist to win Grammy award for their original work.
Burna has in the recent times taken over the hearts of music in Nigeria, but 2019 had been a more flourishing year in his career, the talented Nigerian musician opined, with some of his works having the most stream piece of musical work on every digital streaming platform.
Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu (born 2 July 1991), known professionally as Burna Boy,
Damini Ogulu was born in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. His father managed a welding company and his mother worked as a translator. His grandfather Benson Idonije once managed Fela Kuti. Ogulu grew up in southern Nigeria and began making his own beats using FruityLoops.
He completed high school near Lagos and relocated to London to further his studies.
Burna is a singer and songwriter. He rose to prominence in 2012 after releasing “Like to Party”, the lead single from his debut studio album L.I.F.E(2013).
In 2017, Burna Boy signed with Bad Habit/Atlantic Records in the United States and Warner Music Group internationally. His third studio album Outside (2018)
marked his major-label debut. In 2019, he won Best International Act at the 2019 BET Awards. He was also announced as Apple Music’s Up Next artist.
His fourth studio album African Giant was released in July 2019.
Burna Boy’s fourth studio album African Giant was released on July 26, 2019. It has been supported by six singles: “Gbona”, “On the Low”, Killin Dem”,
“Dangote”, “Anybody” and “Pull Up”. He began recording the album in 2018. He told Billboard magazine that the album is his most personal yet.
He first revealed plans to release the album in April 2019, and held a private listening session in Los Angeles. Photos and videos from the listening session were shared on social media. African Giant was initially announced as a 16-track album. In order to promote the album,
Burna Boy headlined the African Giant Returns tour, the second leg of his African Giant tour. Burna Boy recorded “My Money, My Baby”, a track that appeared on Queen & Slim’s soundtrack album.
Described as an “Afrobeat-tinged track”, “My Money, My Baby” contains a sample of Fela Kuti’s 1972 song “Shakara”.
It will be a record breaking achievement for the nigerian artist.
here are some of the daitaled information about africans and grammy
Burna has become the first Nigerian Musician to perform at Coachella.
Artists who received nominations for their original work
Year Category Work Artist Result
- 1984. Best Ethnic or Traditional Folk Recording Syncro System King Sunny Adé (Nominated)
- 1998 Best World Music Album Love Drum Talk Babatunde Olatunji (Nominated)
- 1999 Odu King Sunny Adé (Nominated)
- 2003 Fight to Win Femi Kuti (Nominated)
- 2010 Best Contemporary World Music Album Day by Day Femi Kuti (Nominated)
- 2012 Best World Music Album Africa for Africa (Nominated)
- 2018 Black Times Seun Kuti & Egypt (Nominated)
- 2020 Best World Music Album African Giant Burna Boy ( Pending)
Artists who won and/or received nominations for their minor contributions to foreign work
Year Category Foreign work and artist Nigerian act Result
- 2009 Best Contemporary World Music Album Global Drum Project by Various artist Sikiru Adepoju ( Won)
- 2015 Album of the Year Beyoncé by Beyoncé Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Nominated)
- 2017 Views by Drake Wizkid (Nominated)
- Best Dance Recording “Rinse & Repeat” by Riton Kah-Lo (Nominated)
- 2018 Best Reggae Album Avrakedabra by Morgan Heritage Timaya (Nominated)
- 2019 Best Rock Album Mania by Fall Out Boy Burna Boy (Nominated)
A brief about some of these Legends
Femi Kuti was born in England and grew up in Nigeria.
The album features a number of different artists from around the world, primarily Mickey Hart, Zakir Hussain, Sikiru Adepoju and Giovanni Hidalgo
Beyoncé is an American singer and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, a Nigerian, appears as a featured artist on one of the songs on the album.
Drake is a Canadian musician and Wizkid, a Nigerian, appears as a featured artist and co-producer on one of the songs on the album.
Riton is an English musician and Kah-Lo, a Nigerian, appears as a featured artist on the song.
Morgan Heritage is an American band and Timaya, a Nigerian, appears as a featured artist on one of the songs on the album.
Fall Out Boy is an American band and Burna Boy, a Nigerian, appears as a featured artist on one of the songs on the album.