Naira Marley Biography || Albums || All Music || Awards || Net-worth
Azeez Adeshina Fashola (born 10 May 1991), also known as Naira Marley, is a Nigerian singer and songwriter. He is known as the president of his controversial fan base, “Marlians“.
He began singing in 2014 after discovering his passion for music and was encouraged by close-knit friends to pursue his music career. He released the Max Twigz-assisted track “Marry Juana” before releasing his debut EP Gotta Dance in 2015.
In December 2017, he released the Olamide and Lil Kesh-assisted single “Issa Goal“, which became the theme song for the Super Eagles at the 2018 FIFA World Cup. The official remix of “Issa Goal” was released on 16 June 2018.
Naira Marley released the Zlatan assisted track “Am I A Yahoo Boy“ on 3 May 2019, and was arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) that same day. He released “Soapy” on 27 June 2019, a few days after he was released from prison. On 11 January 2020, he won Viewers’ Choice for “Soapy” at the 2020 Soundcity MVP Awards.
On 18 December 2019, Naira Marley released his second EP Lord of Lamba which was a mixture of Afrobeats and hip-hop, the EP comprises 6 tracks.
During the “Marlian Fest”, which was held at the Eko Hotels and Suites on 30 December 2019, Naira Marley announced the launch of his record label Marlian Records and unveiled CBlvck, Lyta, Emo Grae, Zinoleesky, MohBad and Fabian Blu as signed acts.
Nominations In Music
- Soundcity MVP Awards – Song Of The Year – Soapy (2020)
- Soundcity MVP Awards – Best Pop (2020)
- City People Music Awards – Artiste Of The Year (2020)
- City People Music Awards – Street Song Of The Year (2019)
- Soundcity MVP Awards – Viewers Choice – Soapy (2020)
- Gotta Dance || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Lord of Lamba || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Kosi Werey ft Olamide || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Issa Goal || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Japa || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Am I A Yahoo Boy || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Bad influence || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Opotoyi (Marlians) || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Why || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Soapy || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Puta || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Back2work || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Mafo || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Tesumole || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Tingasa || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Aye || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Dido lobo || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Mofoti || DOWNLOAD MP3
- As E Dey Go || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Pay Her Money || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Like Chief Keef || DOWNLOAD MP3
- 44-4 Foti || DOWNLOAD MP3
On 10 May 2019, the EFCC arrested Naira Marley and his friends Zlatan, Tiamiu Kayode, Adewunmi Moses and Abubakar Musa were arrested by the EFCC. The arrest was made a day after he released the video for the controversial single “Am I A Yahoo Boy”. On 16 May 2019, the EFCC charged him with 11 counts of fraud before a Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos.
On 19 May 2019, he released the single “4 Nights In Ekohtiebo” while still in prison. In May 2019, he was arraigned before the Federal High Court and pleaded “not guilty”; a bail hearing was set for 30 May 2019. On the day of the bail hearing, Naira Marley released “Why”, a song that was accompanied by an image of him in handcuffs. On 14 June 2019, he was released from jail fourteen days after being granted ₦2,000,000 bail.
In October 2019, he returned to the Federal High Court to face his charges. His case was later adjourned to 27 February 2020 after an EFCC witness testified against him.
Flouting lockdown order
He was detained by the Nigerian Police Force for contravening the lockdown order imposed on Lagos State by President Muhammadu Buhari to contain the spread of coronavirus in the country. On 13 June 2020, he performed at a concert in Abuja despite the interstate travel ban and social distancing rules aimed at curbing the spread of COVID-19. He was arraigned by the FCT Administration before a mobile court in Abuja over the concert.
Naira Marley is currently one of the richest and most influential artist in Nigeria with an estimated net worth of $1.2 million.
Few Remarkable Facts About Naira Marley
- Naira Marley sings in English, Pidgin and Yoruba; his music is a blend of Afrobeats and hip-hop.
- He derived his stage name from Jamaican singer, Bob Marley, whom he admires; his dreadlocks is also a tribute to the singer.
- He wanted to be grime M.C, never thought of music.
- Olamide was the first artist he had a collaboration with titled ”Kusi Werey” in 2016.
- He has two wives and four kids.
- He has a British accent