Seyi Shay Biography || Albums || All Music || Awards || Net-worth
Deborah Oluwaseyi Joshua (born Oluwaseyi Odedere; 21 December 1985), professionally known as Seyi Shay is a Nigerian-based singer, songwriter and actress. In 2008, she became the lead singer for the now defunct pop girl group From Above. The group signed a recording deal with Sony’s Columbia Records and was managed by Mathew Knowles’ Music World Entertainment company. In November 2013, Shay signed an endorsement deal with telecommunications service provider Etisalat. In July 2015, she signed a record deal with Island Records. Shay released her debut studio album Seyi or Shay in November 2015. It was supported by the promotional singles “Irawo“, “Ragga Ragga“, and “Chairman“.
Shay was born and raised in Tottenham, London, England, to Nigerian parents. Her mother was from Northern Nigeria and her father is a native of Ife. She went back to London to complete her undergraduate studies. Her interest in music was influenced by members of her household. Her late mother was a chorister and her sister used to compose songs for TV. Moreover, her brother was a radio and club disc jockey. Shay joined her secondary school choir and started performing at the age of 6.Sh included 13 cities in Japan. Shay was applauded for her performances in Japan. She studied music at a local UK college and went on to study business management at the University of East London.
Shay was introduced to Sound Sultan during his visit to London in 2011. After listening to some of her demos, Sultan convinced her to relocate to Nigeria and pursue her musical career there. In addition to meeting Sultan, Shay was introduced to Cecil Hammond of Flytime Promotions. Hammond signed her to his record label Flytime Music and decided to launch her solo career in Nigeria. In 2013, Shay left Flytime Music and told Vanguard newspaper that she had joined the label to promote her brand. She also said that while signed to the record label, she was very much in control of her brand. Moreover, she said she still has a relationship with the label.
Artistry and role models
Although her musical style is primarily a combination of Afropop and R&B, Shay doesn’t conform to a particular genre of music. She believes that her musical prowess covers different genres, and has stated that her music draws from things that inspire her. Shay has cited her mother, Mathew Knowles, 2face Idibia, Beyoncé, Tina Turner, Sound Sultan, Wizkid, and Omawumias mentors
Shay performed at the 2013 COSON song awards. In July 2013, she performed at one of Big Brother Africa 8’s live eviction shows. On 20 July 2013, she performed in Asaba for the 2013 edition of Star Music Trek. On 27 September 2013, Shay graced the stage at the Sisters with Soul concert, which was headlined by Mary J. Blige. On 20 November 2013, she performed “Bad” with Wale at the Johnnie Walker Step Up to VIP Lifestyle Launch event (held at the Oriental Hotel, Victoria Island, Lagos).
Shay was a supporting act on the 2013 Hennessy Artistry 2013 Club. In December 2013, she performed at the Harp Rhythm Unplugged concert. On 15 February 2014, Shay performed with Kelly Rowland, D’banj, Tiwa Savage, Mo’ Eazy, Zaina, Timi Dakolo, Waje, Muna, JJC and Eva Alordiah at Darey’s Love Like A Movie concert.
2011–present:Seyi or Shay, Electric Package and more.
Shay released her debut studio album Seyi or Shay in November 2015. Work on the album started as early as 2011. Shay worked with several producers in Nigeria, including Jay Sleek, Tee Y Mix, Del B and Cobhams Asuquo. On 11 August 2011, she released “Loving Your Way” and “No Le Le“, two promotional singles that helped launched her singing career in Nigeria.
On 27 July 2012, Shay released “Irawo” as the album’s lead single. The song was produced by Del B and was originally titled “Erawo“. During the aforementioned interview with Ajose, Shay said she wrote “Irawo” to inspire her colleagues and workmates to pull together. The music video for the song was shot and directed in Nigeria by Clarence Peters. It was uploaded onto YouTube on 3 June 2013, at a total length of 3 minutes and 47 seconds. The remix of “Irawo” features rap verses from Vector and was released on 6 December 2012.
In August 2013, Shay released the album’s second single “Killin’ Me Softly“, featuring Nigerian singer Timaya. On 6 October 2013, Shay released “Ragga Ragga” and “Chairman” as the third and fourth singles from the album. The songs were produced by Del B. The latter features vocals from Kcee, a recording artist who was present during the song’s composition. Prior to releasing the singles, Shay signed a partnership deal with the international talent company J-Management.
In March 2019, Shay announced on Instagram that she had been given a concert residency in the United Kingdom. The 2-night residency at the Biosdale of Canary Wharf in London was billed to hold on 29 and 30 May 2019.
In 2018, the singer, Seyi Shay took on the leading role as Lara in the Nigerian drama film, Lara and the Beat, which was directed by Tosin Coker. The film premiered on 8 July 2018. She acted alongside other Popular actors and actresses.
Nominations In Music
- The Headies – Best Vocal Performance (Female) – Irawo (2013)
- The Headies – Next Rated (2013)
- Nigerian Entertainment Awards – Best New Act of the Year (2013)
- Chase Awards – Artiste of the Year (Female) (2013)
- Chase Awards – Song Of The Year (2013)
- 2014 Channel O Music Video Awards – Most Gifted Female – Irawo (2014)
- City People Entertainment Awards – Musician Of The Year (2014)
- 2014 Nigeria Entertainment Awards – Female Artiste Of The Year (2014)
- World Music Awards -World’s Best Song – Ragga Ragga (2014)
- World Music Awards World’s Best Video – Ragga Ragga (2014)
- World Music Awards – World’s Best Female Artiste (2014)
- World Music Awards World’s Best Live Act (2014)
- World Music Awards – World’s Best Entertainer Of The Year (2014)
- MTV Africa Music Awards 2015 – Best Female & Video Of The Year – TBA (2015)
- City People Entertainment Awards – Best New Musician of the Year (Female) (2013)
- The Headies – Best R&B Single – Gimme Love (2019)
- Seyi or Shay (2015) || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Electric Package (2018) || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Tuale || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Surrender || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Irawo || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Chante || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Killin’ Me Softly || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Chairman || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Ragga Ragga || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Murda || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Crazy || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Jangilova || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Right Now || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Park And Go || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Ko Ma Roll || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Season Greetings || DOWNLOAD MP3
- D Vibe || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Alele || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Bia || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Your Matter || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Weekend Vibes(Remix) || DOWNLOAD MP3
- Weekend Vibes || DOWNLOAD MP3
Seyi Shay is one of the richest Nigerian artiste as she is estimated with a net worth about $2.1 million.
Few Remarkable Facts
- At the age of 6, Seyi Shay joined her secondary school choir. They later went on to perform at the London Community Gospel Choir in Japan.
- She produced the soundtrack of the Konami’s video game, Crime Life: Gang Wars.
- She broke into the music scene after signing a record deal with No Apology record label founded by George Martin.
- She became the lead singer in 2009 for the pop girl group “From Above”. The group signed a record deal with Sony Columbia and was managed by Mathew Knowles. She looks up to artists like Beyonce, 2Face Idibia, Tina Turner, Mathew Knowles and Wizkid.
- She signed an endorsement deal with Etisalat in November 2013. Her debut album titled “Seyi or Shay” was released on November 2015.